There is so much information that you need to know and memorise in medical school. Therefore, I believe that it is really important to have notes that are concise which summarise all the key aspects that you need to know to save time and be efficient - nothing more and nothing less. Here are my handwritten electronic notes that I made using different sources including lectures, books and research. They are the exact notes that I used to pass and score highly during my first year of medical scool. I hope you find them as a useful addition to your own notes and hopefully you will achieve the same :)
These are the topics covered:
Cell Biology and Signalling
- Cells and Organelles.
- Biomolecules and Amino Acids.
- Amino Acids and Proteins/ Protein Structure.
- Enzyme Properties and Regulation.
- Enzyme Kinetics.
- pH and Buffers.
- Lipids and Membrane Structure.
- Haemoglobin A/F/S.
- Protein Targeting.
- Cell Motility and Cytoskeleton/Cell Adhesion & Organisation of Nucleus.
- Membrane Transport.
- Intracellular Signalling.
Cellular Genetics and the Cell Cycle
- Basics of Genetic Inheritance.
- Molecular Basis of Inheritance.
- Maintenance and Use of Genetic Information.
- Molecular basis of Gene Transcription.
- Gene Products and Protein Synthesis.
- Manipulation of DNA, Use in Therapy and Diagnosis.
- Introduction to Genetic Variation.
- Genetic Basis of Disease.
Nutrition and Metabolism
- Overview of Metabolism.
- Anaerobic Metabolism.
- Aerobic Metabolism.
- Fats as Fuel.
- Glycogen Synthesis and Regulation.
- Amino Acid Metabolism.
- The Liver and Gluconeogenesis.
- Nutrition & Health.
- Energy Balance & Control.
- Macronutrients - Protein Energy Malnutrition.
- Vitamins 1.
- Vitamins 2.
- Lipid Transport & Hyperlipoproteinaemias.
- Integrated Metabolism - Fed & Fasting State 1
- Integrated Metabolism - Fed & Fasting State 2
Principles of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Physiological Homeostasis
- Body Fluids & Blood
- Pressure and Flow
- Electrical Properties of Cells - Membrane Potential
- Electrical Properties of Cells - Action Potential
- Communication Between Excitable Cells
- Skeletal Muscle
- Cardiac Muscle
- Smooth Muscle
- Autonomic Nervous System - Pharmacological Perspective
- Adrenergic Transmission
- Overview of the Digestive System
- Bile & Biliary System
- Salivary, Gastric & Pancreatic Secretions.
- Motility of the Gut.
- Digestion & Absorption of Nutrients.
- Kidney Function I - Filtration, Reabsorption and Secretion.
- Kidney Function II - Production of Concentration Urine in the Kidney.
- Kidney Function III - Production of Diluted Urine by the Kidney.
- Kidney Function IV - Regulation of ECF & Blood volume.
- Kidney Function V - Acid Base Regulation
- Salt & Water Balance in the Intestine
These notes were written to my best of knowledge during medical school. Please do not use them as an alternative to your own medical curriculum or to what you have been taught.